Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Matthew 6:34

"Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."  - Matthew 6:34, English Standard Version

I believe that a Higher Power watches over us, and that what is meant to be, will be. And yet I am a professional-caliber worrier. I worry about big things, and little things, and all the things in between that could potentially become big things to worry about. Sigh...it's a sickness. I've always been this way; I get it from my mom, who is a world-class worrier.

When I get worked up, I try to remind myself of the verse listed above. It's so true. Tomorrow will be here tomorrow, and it will bring along its own share of worry. And I'll have plenty of time to worry about it then.

My worries right now are relatively simple: Will J. finally have a good math professor this semester? Will we really have the money to take the trip we're planning for the end of March? Is this sore tooth going to turn into a major issue? Will our car continue to run well for the foreseeable future? Looking at this list, I realize that all these things are really out of my control. What will be, will be, and I (we) will deal with whatever comes.

No point in borrowing trouble, especially when there's so much trouble to be had in this life.

I am humbled when I compare my worries to current events in the lives of my friends. One just lost a pregnancy. One is newly pregnant (and over the moon), but with a husband who is lacking in the enthusiasm department (and other departments, if I'm being honest). One is taking charge of her grandmother's medical care, as her grandma has just been diagnosed with leukemia.

I guess, if I feel the need to worry, I can worry for them.

Then again...no.

"Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."

1 comment:

RoseAnn said...

I don't classify myself as a worrier but a planner but it's really a semantic distinction. You're absolutely right that the things you mentioned are largely out of your control. Your energy might better be spent planning for possible outcomes, which I guess could turn into its own form of worry. Something like a "pre-gratitude" journal...if "x" were to happen, what good would come of it. How about "y"?

As for others' problems, I've recently read what I think to be very true: if everyone were in a huge circle and threw their problems into the middle for everyone else to see, we'd each be glad to take back our own issues once we'd seen the competition.

{{{Hugs}}}, Friend. (And loving the more frequent blog posts!)