Tuesday, September 18, 2012

On Moving

Back in May, when my mom suggested that J. and I move in with her, September seemed a long way off. But as it tends to do, time flies, and here we are: five days post-move.

I should say first that I have the greatest husband ever. Even though he's in his first semester with four classes, and has a ton of studying to do, he did the vast majority of the prep work and packing. It works out: I hate packing and he hates unpacking, so we each take charge of the one we prefer.

Second, moving is a real pain in the ass.

T-1 day until move (Wednesday): J. took off school. I left work at noon. We went to mom's and got some furniture moved around. Went back to the apartment and finished packing. Got to talking about how we'd be ready for the movers a lot earlier than expected (they were scheduled for noon), so called them and rescheduled for 9 am.

Moving day (Thursday): Up at 5 am. Corralled all three cats with only a little bit of bloodshed and cursing. Loaded the car with clothes and miscellaneous stuff we didn't want the movers to take. J. dropped me at mom's to wait for the cable guy. Appointment was between 7 am and 8 am. Cable guy called at 8 am and said he's 30 minutes away; he finally showed up at 8:45 am. Meanwhile, J. waited at the apartment for the movers, who arrived right on time. They finished loading around 10:30 am and got to the house around 11. Movers and cable guy both finished about noon. 15 minutes after they left, it started pouring rain. Spent the rest of the day situating furniture and unpacking a little.

The day after (Friday): Mom had zero groceries in the house, so she and I went shopping while J. went to clean the old apartment. $295 later, we had a fully stocked kitchen. Met J. at the house and got all the boxes into the proper rooms so I could unpack them. Worked on unpacking boxes all afternoon.

T+2 days after (Saturday): J. organized the garage, and I unpacked the last few boxes.

T+3 days after (Sunday): Hung all our wall hangings and tried to settle in.

Monday I went back to work. Could have used one more day off, but that's always the case. I think we're going to like living with mom. She's a little bit smothering at times, but I'm good at setting boundaries, and she's good at accepting them. All our kitchen stuff is still in boxes, and we have to go through mom's cabinets and our boxes and decide what to keep/store/sell at our garage sale. The next few weeks are busy for J. and I, so I'm not sure when we'll get to that, but I don't really care. The boxes are out of the way, so they can sit for a while before they start to bother me.

It feels good to be settling in to a new place, one that will hopefully be our home for a very long time. I think we're going to be happy here.

1 comment:

RoseAnn said...

You and I are such kindred spirits...I don't know anyone besides the two of us who would be even close to unpacked after 3 days in a new place! ;)

So lucky on the weather! We have moved in every condition imaginable...including falling snow but have always survived it.

I'm so glad things are off to a good start! I hope your garage sale is a huge success!