Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Life and Death

I'm too young to be tired of funerals, and yet I am. In my life, I've buried four great-grandparents, three grandparents, and five friends. In the three years J. and I have been together, we've attended two funerals and zero weddings. How sad is that?

I'm thinking about this because a woman who was a close friend and like a second mom to me for many years suffered a burst aneurysm on Sunday and is now fighting for her life. She has a 50% chance of survival. It hurts my heart: for her, for her family, which includes two grandbabies and one on the way, and for myself. Even though we aren't close anymore, I love her dearly, and the idea of her dying breaks my heart.

I know that death is a part of life. I know that  most people wouldn't want to live forever, even if they could. And most of the time, I'm okay with that. Today, though...not so much.

2 comments:

RoseAnn said...

I think there's a huge difference between losing someone who is elderly who has lived a long life and watching someone lose their battle when they are far too young.

Do you live close enough to visit your friend? Even if you were no longer close, a visit might help both of you in this difficult time.

{{{Hugs}}}

RoseAnn said...

I also wanted to say that I don't think it gets any easier, dealing with someone's death. Every person in our lives provides something unique and death ends that relationship in the most final way.

I also don't think that there is an "easier" way to lose someone. A sudden death can leave questions and things unsaid but a long illness or injury can leave you with lasting impressions of someone in a compromised state.

I'm so sorry that you are having to deal with this.

{{{Hugs}}}