Monday, April 2, 2012

April Resolutions

I'm extremely mad at myself. I spend a lot of my time thinking about things I should do, or want to do, or need to do. I'm introspective, and think about wanting to write in my journal. I want to read more books, so I make a plan for how to read more books.

WTF???

Get a pen and write in the journal!

Pick up a book and read!

I'm about to turn 36, and I'm tired as hell of being introspective. Since I know it's not possible to change my nature, this post is a get-your-happy-ass-in-gear message to myself.

I've gained weight, and it sucks. Instead of feeling bad about myself, or whining to J. about how none of my clothes fit, I ordered a bike trainer. I'm going to buy a bike this weekend and I'm going to ride it in the mornings and/or evenings while reading a book.

March 2012 is the first month in a very long time that I didn't finish a single book. Nothing held my interest. I set aside three books:
The Night Circus, Devil in the White City, and 11/22/63. All these are well-reviewed books, and one of them *should* have grabbed my attention, but none did. I think the biggest reason for this is that I have too many distractions at home now: tv, computer, J., the cats, eating dinner, etc. I am going to make time for reading by doing it while I'm riding my bike each day.

I'm just sick to death of talking about doing things - making a plan for doing things - but then not actually *doing* them! That is going to change. And since we're at the beginning of April, I'm calling these my April Resolutions:

I will read one book per week.
I will ride my bike each day.
I will write in my journal at least once per week.
I will turn off the tv/get off the computer and *do* something.
I will quit smoking.

We'll see how it goes.

2 comments:

RoseAnn said...

I know you can do every single one of those things! And I love the idea of April resolutions; no reason to wait until January roles around again! ;)

That being said, be gentle with yourself. If you miss a day of riding the bike, know that it's there tomorrow and you can get right back on. haha

I watch certain TV shows while on the elliptical (45 minutes most weekday mornings). Right now I'm working my through the entire run of ER.

Erin said...

Last summer when I lost 15 lbs I would make myself just go watch all my tv shows while on the elliptical, bike or treadmill instead of sitting there. Even if I was tired walking at a slower pace on the treadmill was more productive than sitting on my butt. You don't have to push for cardio everyday, you just have to move. Now to re motivate myself since ive managed to gain half this weight back...