Friday, March 16, 2012

Friday Happy Hour

From Mental Floss: "Every Friday, I post a series of unrelated questions meant to spark conversation in the comments. Answer one, answer all, respond to someone else's reply, whatever you want. On to this week's topics of discussion..."

Looking back at your resume, what job experience do you think would make the best book?

From December 2007 to June 2008, I worked for an outsourcing company answering customer service phone calls for AmEx. The things I heard on those phone calls would make a pretty entertaining book! One example: the guy who told me that he needed to cancel his card because it had been stolen by the Peruvian prostitute with whom he'd spent the evening before. Really, man - you could've just said you lost it while traveling!!!

How would you improve the grocery store experience?

I'd require all grocery stores to stock their shelves in the same order. They wouldn't have to carry exactly the same brands/products, but if bread is on aisle 1, then it's on aisle 1 in every store. And if peanut butter goes next to coffee, then it's the same in every store. (Can you tell I hate not being able to find things in the grocery store?)

What’s one book you think every student should read before graduating?

The novel We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver has been on my mind lately. I was able to snag it for a quarter for the Kindle last week, which has made me want to re-read it very soon.

This book is slow at first, but amazingly powerful. I think it should be a must-read before a person decides whether or not to have children. While I understand that it is a novel, and that the outcome presented is only one of an infinite number of possible outcomes, the unfolding story of this family is one that every potential parent should witness.

1 comment:

RoseAnn said...

I love your grocery store idea! I only really shop at one store primarily and I've gotten in the habit of writing the list in approximately the right order. My thing would be cart parking in the produce section. Why does everyone have to wander the obstacle course?

I first read We Need to Talk About Kevin quite a few years ago. Then we moved to within a mile of Columbine H.S. and it took on a whole new resonance.