Tuesday, December 13, 2011

2012 Reading Challenges

In 2009, I read 88 books; in 2010, I read 87. The count for 2011 will be 53 or 54, which is disappointing. I also failed to complete my reading challenge for 2011, which was to read four classic novels: The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood, The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky, Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut, and The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. I only read two of the four (Atwood and Vonnegut). Still, I’m not too upset. I set a new challenge for myself in July, and though I’ve revised it slightly, it has kept me on a path and encouraged me to read more than I was in the first half of the year.

Now it’s time for me to think about what I want to read in 2012. Each year, I like to challenge myself, but I don’t set strict rules. I just want to set a goal that I can accomplish while broadening my horizons a little bit.

My goals for reading in 2012:

Read a minimum of 52 books (one for each week of the year).

At least 75% of all books read will be from my to-be-read list. As it stands today, the list contains 103 books, so if I read 52 books in 2012, 39 will need to come from the TBR list.

31 of the books on my TBR list are (what I consider) classics. I’d like to read ten of these in 2012.

I always set a big goal, one that would be really hard to reach but also really cool if I did. My big goal for 2012 is to read 90 books. Since I started keeping track of books I’ve read again in 2009, my high is 88, and I’d like to top that. However, since reading 90 books would mean a pace of 1.75 books every week, I seriously doubt it will happen.

Still…goals are good, and I look forward to beginning work on these!

4 comments:

RoseAnn said...

I'm in awe of you! Even a good book takes me longer than a week to finish reading. Probably because I read before bed and have to limit myself when I start falling asleep. ;)

Erin said...

My current reading goal is to read a total of 100 novels before I graduate college (from the time I started). I feel like this is a pretty good goal considering the amount of reading I have to do for school. Right now I am at 53/100 books and I have till May 15th(ish), 2013.

Anonymous said...

What did you think of slaughter house 5?

Anonymous said...

I thought it was one of the worst books I have ever read. It was so bad that i think i threw it away instead of even donating it. I didn't want anyone else to have to endure that torture.
Garrett