Friday, November 18, 2011

A Day in the Life

I “borrowed” this one from RoseAnn…not sure my daily life is very interesting, but I thought it would be a good exercise.

5:00 am – alarm clock goes off – hit snooze.
5:09 am – get up or hit snooze.
5:18 am – get up or hit snooze.
5:27 am – drag my butt out of bed and grunt at J.
5:27 am – 5:35 am – drink coffee and achieve consciousness.
5:35 am – 6:15 am – check email, Facebook, and a few other sites I read every day.
6:15 am – 7:00 am – shower and prepare for the day.
7:00 am – leave the house. Run errands if needed.
7:15 am – 8:00 am – arrive at work (sometime in this window).
8:00 am – 8:30 am – Get breakfast from cafeteria. Check mailbox. Boot up computer and open work and personal emails.
8:30 am – 8:45 am – Review the day ahead: check office calendar, to-do list, and upcoming due dates. Determine which items, if any, must be done today.
8:45 am – 10:00 am – Work
10:00 am – 10:30 am – Take cigarette break. Walk interior of property; check in with tenants. Walk through construction areas, check progress and status of any inspections performed the previous day.
10:30 am – 12:00 pm – Work.
12:00 pm – 12:15 pm - Get lunch from hospital cafeteria or prepare lunch that I brought from home.
12:15 pm – 2:00 pm – Eat lunch while checking blogs and other favorite websites. Work as needed.
2:00 pm – 2:15 pm – Cigarette break.
2:15 pm – 2:30 pm – Review list of must-complete items.
2:30 pm – 4:00 pm – Work.
4:00 pm – 4:15 pm – Address all work emails and reply as needed.
4:15 pm – 4:30 pm – Verify that all tasks on must-complete list are done.
4:30 pm – 5:00 pm – Prepare for the next day. Straighten desk. Look at personal to-do list for things I need to do after work.
5:00 pm – Leave work.
5:20 pm – 5:45 pm – Arrive at home. Greet J. Greet Keke. Ask Monkey why he ran away when I tried to greet him, as if he doesn’t remember me (yes, this happens every day). Hunt for Bo, say hi, try – and fail – to pet her. Unpack all the junk I take back and forth every day: cell phone, cigarettes, book-in-progress, to-do list, planner.
5:45 pm – 6:00 pm – Fix and eat a small snack. Ask J. what’s on tv tonight. Ask J. what’s for dinner.
6:00 pm – 6:30 pm – Watch tv and/or read while J. finishes studying.
6:30 pm – 7:00 pm – Sit on my butt while J. makes dinner. Offer to help, knowing he won’t let me.
7:00 pm – 7:30 pm – Eat dinner.
7:30 pm – 8:00 pm – Clean up kitchen. Try to help with dishes, knowing J. won’t let me. Tidy up house instead.
8:00 pm – J. and I go to bed. Play with cats (bedtime requires play with the laser pointer). Read and/or watch tv until we fall asleep.

Wow…this was difficult to write, not because I’m so exciting, but because my days vary so much! My workday is especially hard to pin down, because there’s just no predicting how a given day will go. A day can be moving along smoothly and then an issue arises that derails the rest of the day – or the rest of the week. I may be working at my desk one moment, then be running all over our campus for the next two hours (with no notice!). I have one week of the month that is especially busy, with items due to our corporate office. During the rest of the month, on a quiet day, I may spend most of my time playing online. And in the early part of the month, I often leave at 3:30 pm to take rent payments to the bank. I love the flexibility, and that every day is different, but for someone who is such a planner, that’s also part of the challenge of my job.

1 comment:

RoseAnn said...

I'm so honored that you stole this from me. I was afraid it was just a silly time filler but it makes me feel better to see another of them!

Is your office in the hospital or just nearby? Does the cafeteria have decent food?

LOL at J not letting you help with dinner. Robert and I have established a routine: if there's not something clear for me to help with, I will settle at the table in the kitchen and just talk to him while he finishes. Often I am gophering: fetching things from cupboard and fridge and returning them to their rightful place.