Friday, July 15, 2011

Friday Happy Hour

From Mental Floss: "Every Friday, I post a series of unrelated questions meant to spark conversation in the comments. Answer one, answer all, respond to someone else's reply, whatever you want. On to this week's topics of discussion..."

(Now that I actually have followers of my blog, I’d love to see your responses in the comments here. Tell me what you think, friends!)

What high school or college class have you found most useful in your adult life?

~ I’m going to say “none.” I didn’t get a college degree, so I don’t use my college classes in day-to-day life. However, the classes I took in high school and college, and some of the teachers I had, definitely helped shape the person I am today.

What was your most special birthday or birthday party as a kid? As an adult?

~ As a kid, I’ll say my 14th. My mom agreed to rent this little community center room at the local park, and I got to invite a ton of kids. The most exciting part was that we hired the DJ from the skating rink to play at the party. Yeah…it was 1990…what do you expect?

As an adult…my 25th. I ended a 5 ½ year relationship nine months before, so I’d had enough time to process that and begin to enjoy being single. I was finally going through my party stage (that most people go through at 21 or so). I went out with all my friends to a bar and had a blast. It was really special because some old friends I never see came that night, and my step-brothers and their wives and friends were there, too.

Pretend it’s 2021. What will car audio look like?

~ I can’t bring myself to care. I know I sound like an old fart when I say this, but gadgets and technology just do not excite me. I still don’t even own an MP3 player!

What was the nerdiest moment of your life?

~ Oh, I’m always making obscure references that no one understands, but I think this one is probably the nerdiest. Hopefully this will translate to a written story ok.

When I worked in the admissions office at Texas A&M, we used large date stamps to mark incoming mail. They broke all the time because they got so much use. One day, I was asked to audit all the stamps in the office to find out how many were broken so we could repair or replace them. Eventually, I had one pile of all the good ones and several separate piles of broken ones, all with sticky notes attached stating how they were broken.

As I’m explaining to my boss about how they’re broken and which ones I think can be repaired, I made a reference to Anna Karenina. You know…“all happy families are alike; all unhappy families are unhappy in their own way.” Except I said, “all the good date stamps are the same; all the broken ones are broken in their own way.”

Yeah…I’m a nerd.

No comments: