Friday, July 8, 2011

Friday Happy Hour

From Mental Floss: "Every Friday, I post a series of unrelated questions meant to spark conversation in the comments. Answer one, answer all, respond to someone else's reply, whatever you want. On to this week's topics of discussion..."

(Now that I actually have followers of my blog, I’d love to see your responses in the comments here. Tell me what you think, friends!)

If the ice cream truck from your childhood showed up in front of your house, what old favorite would you order?

~ I would order a Fudge Bomb, which is half chocolate ice cream and half banana ice cream. I guess it doesn’t sound very tasty, but they are so good!!!

Like most people, I live near lots of places where video stores used to be. What ubiquitous retail establishments do you predict will disappear in the next 20 years?

~ I don’t think they’ll disappear completely, but upscale coffeehouses will not have today’s popularity in 20 years. More and more people are paying attention to what they eat and focusing on living sustainably. That’s less people willing to spend $5 on a small cup of coffee, at least with the frequency they used to. (If you haven’t seen “Food, Inc.” please watch it right now. It will change the way you think about what you eat.)

Do you still read a newspaper? I mean a real, inky newspaper. On paper.

~ J. was required to read the local newspaper every day for his English class during the spring 2011 semester, so we subscribed. We’ve cut back to Sunday-only service now, and most of the time, I just take out the coupons and throw the rest of the paper away. I love the Sunday paper, and wish I’d sit down and read it, but I just haven’t been making the time.

If you had to pick one single TV episode to be quizzed on, what would it be?

~ This is tough. There are several TV episodes I really love, but I don’t have the best attention to detail. I don’t know that I would do very well on a quiz, even on an episode I’ve seen many times.

2 comments:

RoseAnn said...

1. We lived in the boonies so no ice cream truck but that Fudge Bomb sounds like my kind of ice cream treat!
2. I'd like to see check cashing places as a thing of the past. All I see are opportunistic greed mongers.
3. I get the Sunday paper and take great pleasure in working my way through it on Sunday morning. Unfortunately, it's usually old news or airing simultaneously on the local news station while I'm reading the paper. LOL
4. Friends, Season 4 (?) - The One Where No One is Ready. That's my all-time favorite episode and the only one I could probably quote word for word.

Carol said...

You can sometimes find Fudge Bombs (at least in Dallas, you can) at convenience stores. But usually it's the run-down ones, not good ones like 7-11 or QT.

I agree with you about the check cashing places. I used one once, and it's almost impossible to get out of that hole. Which Friends episode was that? I was not a big fan of the show, but that title sounds familiar.