Friday, July 1, 2011

Friday Happy Hour

From Mental Floss: "Every Friday, I post a series of unrelated questions meant to spark conversation in the comments. Answer one, answer all, respond to someone else's reply, whatever you want. On to this week's topics of discussion..."

(Now that I actually have followers of my blog, I’d love to see your responses in the comments here. Tell me what you think, friends!)

Today’s first question is for the teachers. What do you do on your summer breaks? If you’ve got one of those year-round jobs, do you know any teachers who made interesting use of their summers?

~ I’m not a teacher, and I don’t know of any teachers who do/did anything particularly interesting, but having two months each year to pursue travel, hobbies, or personal enrichment is one of the main reasons I’m still drawn to a career in teaching.

What’s your earliest memory?

~ I remember the summer of 1980, which is the hottest summer on record in Dallas/Fort Worth. I was only four years old, but having 69 days over 100 degrees, 42 of which were consecutive (June 23 – August 3), is pretty damn memorable. I love Dallas, but I really, really hate summer here!

What’s your earliest sports memory?

~ My family is not into sports, and I had zero interest in playing sports, but I developed a love for being a spectator. In middle and high school, it was college football and baskeball and Winston Cup racing. I’m not sure what my earliest sports memory is, but my most vivid one is Christian Laettner’s jump shot in the 1992 NCAA East Regional Finals. UK was my team (and still is), and I will loathe Laettner on my deathbed.

What documentaries do you recommend?

~ “The Cove” is amazing…very difficult to watch, but worthwhile. “Waiting For Superman” is a must. All of Michael Moore’s documentaries are great, but my favorites are: “Bowling for Columbine,” “Fahrenheit 9/11,” and “Capitalism: a Love Story.” Anyone with a drivers license should watch “Who Killed the Electric Car?” And when you’re done with all that serious stuff, watch “The King of Kong: a Fistful of Quarters.”

No comments: