Friday, June 24, 2011

My Best Thoughts...

I do my best thinking in the shower. This would be fine, except that I take relatively long showers (usually 10-15 minutes). And since I have the short-term memory of a gnat, I’m afraid of forgetting all the things I thought of while I was wet. Almost every morning, I emerge from the shower chanting a cryptic list. Today’s list was: receipt, bathing suit, coupons. After work today, I have to exchange a bathing suit, so I needed to get the suit and receipt. Then I’m going grocery shopping, and didn’t want to forget my coupons.

My second-best thinking spot is in the car. While I’m driving. Since I have a long commute, I’ve resorted to sending text messages to myself. Again, these are always cryptic. I don’t worry about misspelling words, as long as they’re recognizable – I just need something to jog my memory.

All this occurred to me while I was in the shower this morning, and I continued to mull it over during my commute. Here’s my explanation: I’m an extremely organized person. I cannot function without lists. And I throw myself full-force into whatever I’m doing. I’ve noticed an almost palpable sense of shifting from home to work (in the morning) and/or from work to home (in the evening). I think the reason I have so many ideas in the shower and on my commute is because I’m in the process of shifting. I’m forming my to-do list for the day (both for work and home) in my mind. I’ll often think of tasks at work that are sitting on my desk or will be due soon, and decide what needs to be done that day and what the rest of my week looks like. Depending on my mood, I’ll mentally organize my day and the rest of my week. By the time I get to work, I’m ready for my day, and I have a gameplan for accomplishing what I need to.

I like the fact that my mind is working even when I have mental downtime. I just wish my memory could keep up with all the ideas I have!

(Edited to add: while this post was publishing, I checked Mental Floss to see if Friday Happy Hour had been posted yet. You won't believe what the first question is!)

No comments: