Thursday, June 23, 2011

Impending Chaos

I work for a commercial property management company that specializes in medical buildings. In November 2010, my office managed approximately 288,000 square feet. At the end of December, one of our campuses was sold, and our portfolio dropped to 132,000 square feet. Because a new building was under construction on a campus we already managed, nothing was added to our portfolio. The last six months have been relatively quiet and laid-back. Before I was hired, my boss did not have an assistant, so I’ve been able to organize the office and put into place systems that have it running pretty smoothly. I’ve been busy enough to keep from being bored, but quiet enough to have downtime when I need it.

Those days are over, at least for a while.

The construction is almost complete, and we will take over the building by July 15. In addition, we will be moving our office to the property before the end of July. Opening a brand-new building is not easy. In many ways, it will be a very complicated dance, requiring intricate coordination. New tenant spaces will be finished-out by contractors, and city inspections will be required. Leasing agents will show vacant spaces to prospective tenants, and will want them to meet the management staff while they’re visiting the campus. Maintenance issues will arise as building systems are brought online. Oh, and I’ll have to unpack and set up our office.

I’m not complaining. I love my job, my boss, and my coworkers. My new office will be a 15-minute commute in the morning instead of a 40-minute one (my evening commute is longer, but will still be reduced by half). Plus, I’ll no longer have to take toll-roads. The cost of my commute will decrease by at least one-half, and I’ll be putting about 20 miles per day on my car, versus the 50+ miles per day I put on now. When your vehicle has over 100,000 miles, that’s a good thing!

Still…I’m not looking forward to the chaos the next 60 days are sure to bring.

3 comments:

RoseAnn said...

I really hope this comment goes through. Lately, I end up in this vicious circle of trying to log in to Google until I get frustrated and give up. I'll make myself a note to email you if this doesn't appear to work.

What you're describing sounds like my worst nightmare and best day all rolled into one. LOL I love the aspect of moving that involves organizing things in the new space. I loathe any change to my routine and obviously a move is the very definition of that.

Silly question: how is that your morning commute is shorter but evening commute is longer? LOL Awesome on being closer to home and saving on tolls! Speaking from experience, you will be amazed at how valuable it is to get that time back!

Okay, here goes...

Carol said...

RoseAnn - I think I've figured out how to bypass the Google issue. When it takes you to the login screen after you type your comment, enter your user name and password, and uncheck the "stay signed in" box. Then hit login. When I do that, it lets me post my comment.

Sorry if I was unclear about the commute. Both commutes are shorter, but my evening commute will still take longer than my morning commute. Right now, my morning commute is about 40 minutes, and my evening about an hour. At the new office, my morning commute will be about 15 minutes, and my evening about 30 minutes.

RoseAnn said...

I think I figured out that same thing...it just feels like I have to relearn it every time I comment and it feels counterintuitive!

A shorter commute is a good thing, no matter how the particulars work out!