Friday, June 17, 2011

Friday Happy Hour

From Mental Floss: "Every Friday, I post a series of unrelated questions meant to spark conversation in the comments. Answer one, answer all, respond to someone else's reply, whatever you want. On to this week's topics of discussion..."

(Now that I actually have followers of my blog, I’d love to see your responses in the comments here. Tell me what you think, friends!)


What incorrect (or invented) words for everyday objects did you, your siblings or your kids dream up?

~ When I was a kid, I used several incorrect words. Two that I still use occasionally are: “eteeont” for elephant (rhymes with don’t) and “soapy pillows” for sopaipillas.

When I was growing up, there was no greater villain than the local guy who burned down the Sizzler. Who was your town’s “worst case scenario” resident?

~ I don’t remember any stories like this when I was growing up, but our parents did scare us with kidnapping stories. Of course, all parents were afraid after the infamous Adam Walsh kidnapping in Florida in 1981. Then, in 1985, a six-year-old girl was kidnapped in my hometown and later found dead. I think we grew up even more afraid of being kidnapped than other kids. I attended high school with the victim’s older sister, and even as a teenager, thinking about it gave me the willies.

What was your favorite book on the day you finished high school? Do you still hold it in high esteem today?

~ No idea what my favorite book was, but I do have a list of books I read during my last two years of high school. It’s interesting to see how much my tastes have changed. Back then I read lots of John Grisham and Dean Koontz, two authors I rarely read now. But I also enjoyed Stephen King and Tom Clancy, two authors I still read (although I choose by a book’s subject, rather than reading every book they release).

What’s the most tremendous garage sale item you’ve seen?

~ I’ve never been a huge fan of garage sales; I call them junk sales. When J. and I were first dating, I cringed every time he wanted to stop at one. However, in our current neighborhood, they are often a great place to find books and DVD’s very, very cheap. I’ve been known to buy a book or DVD, read or watch it, then sell it to the local independent bookstore for more trade credit than I paid at the junk sale. Our neighborhood sales are also great places for furniture, if you get there early.

1 comment:

Erin said...

What incorrect (or invented) words for everyday objects did you, your siblings or your kids dream up?

I dont remember what silly word I used. As a teacher to two year olds I hear a lot of funny words. One of my kids lives on a farm and calls any patch of grass a "passure" (Pasture) and one little girl calls tigers "eegers"

When I was growing up, there was no greater villain than the local guy who burned down the Sizzler. Who was your town’s “worst case scenario” resident?
My mom always got the neighborhood crime watchers emails and scared us daily with neighborhood breakins.

What was your favorite book on the day you finished high school? Do you still hold it in high esteem today?

Harry Potter was and still is the most tremendous and well thought out series I have ever read. I am not sure I will ever get tired of re reading it.

What’s the most tremendous garage sale item you’ve seen?

My mom is a huge garage seller. She grew up with 9 siblings and after her parents retired they sold antiques for a living. We have gotten some pretty cool things from garage sales (you just have to know which neighborhoods to avoid) - I collect art glass and carnival glass and I once found a 1930's piece of Fostoria glass that goes from 50 - 75 dollars at antique shops for $1. And a couple weeks ago my mom and I stopped at a couple and I found a lego set for Ryan that had all the pieces in it and lists for $300 on ebay. I bought it for $4.