Friday, June 3, 2011

Friday Happy Hour

From Mental Floss: "Every Friday, I post a series of unrelated questions meant to spark conversation in the comments. Answer one, answer all, respond to someone else's reply, whatever you want. On to this week's topics of discussion..."

(Now that I actually have followers of my blog, I’d love to see your responses in the comments here. Tell me what you think, friends!)

1. What can’t you bring yourself to throw away?

~ A baby photo of my ex-husband. It’s a very cute picture, and when we were married, I kept it in my jewelry box. After we divorced, I came across it under some other sentimental items in the box. I hated to throw it out; it was taken circa 1979, so I know his mom doesn’t have a copy. I intended to return it, so I put it away where it would be safe (but out of sight). And four years have passed.

2. What specific movies weren’t you allowed to watch (as a kid)?

~ I don’t remember being forbidden to see specific films, although my mother was overly concerned about movie ratings. I was 11 or 12 when the PG-13 rating was introduced. And I distinctly remember arguments where she would say, “It’s not appropriate for kids under 13!” And I would say, “You’re going to let some anonymous person decide what’s appropriate for me as an individual? I’m not an average 11-year-old!”

3. What Are You Reading (and do you recommend it)?

~ I just started Reading My Father by Alexandra Styron. She’s the daughter of William Styron, author of (among other things) Sophie’s Choice and Darkness Visible, a discussion of his descent into depression. I read Darkness Visible a few months ago in preparation for Reading My Father. I really, really hope to get some solid reading time in this weekend so I can give this book the attention it deserves!

Next up will be Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro and The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore by Benjamin Hale.

2 comments:

OutsidetheLinez said...

Czechs are the collectors of all things. I have an innate inability to throw away ANYTHING. It runs in the family. Our homes are decorated with stuffed shelves and stacks of books and junk. (Think: Crazy person that is responsible for archiving history. You know... the ones you see in old movies) When out homes get full we have been known to purchase additional sheds for the backyard to store yet MORE stuff. I have, more than once, stopped and looked around and thought, "WTF?"
I've been to other homes that are roomy and clean and you can even walk a straight path from one room to another. I've always wanted my home to be that. Maybe one day before I move along into the abyss I'll actually learn out to let go of things. I've done research on hoarding. (Surprised?) It comes down to this: Hoarding is a result of not being able to process emotions in a healthy way. In other words, when we can't throw something away it's because we have transferred our emotions to the object. I can't throw away (or give away) the crappy paperback that I couldn't even stand to read because Aunt So-n-so gave it to me for Christmas a decade ago. In all reality I know it was probably a last minute grab gift because she had no idea what to give me and has long since even forgotten that she did. So... why do I still have it?

Why, indeed?

Erin said...

1. Movie ticket stubs. I always write down the date and who I went to the movie with on the back. I have a large box of those. I also cant throw away bottle caps. I am hoping someday that I can build a bar for my house and glue them to the top of it or something.
2. I wasnt allowed to watch anything that was PG13 till I was 13. I remember wanting very badly to watch Titanic and Legally Blonde and not being able to till I was older
3. Right now I am on book 6 in the Pretty Little Liars series - Killer - its a pretty good mystery series. and they are a quick read and I just finished a harder novel so I like easy right now. Up next is The Memory Keeper's Daughter