Monday, June 20, 2011

35-Year-Old Baby

Women always say that men are babies when they’re sick. I think there is a reason that, for many years, I’ve joked that I’m a man in a woman’s body. When I’m sick, I’m like a 3-year-old who missed her nap.

I’ve been fighting a cold for over a week. I was very tired all of last week, and Thursday I had a sore throat and swollen glands. I felt a little better on Friday, and tried to tell myself it was just bad allergies. But yesterday afternoon, the cold won. This morning, I’m officially sick. And I’m very, very grumpy.

I am 35 years old. I know that I should act like a big girl, even when I feel awful. And I try, I really do. But my head is full of snot. My throat hurts. My teeth hurt (sinus pressure always does that to me). I feel feverish, though my temperature is barely elevated. And I have zero energy, but I can’t sleep because I can’t get comfortable when I lay down. I feel like crying and/or having a temper tantrum.

J. has class this morning and won’t be home until noon. I’m glad for that. I know I’m a handful when I feel this way. I’m needy and whiny and a general pain in the ass. At least he’ll get a few hours of peace before he has to deal with me.

No comments: