Friday, May 6, 2011

When I have money, I buy books...

…actually, I don’t. J. and I are both voracious readers, and there is no way we could ever afford to buy all the books we read, or to have a large enough home to store them all. Thank goodness we live in the city of Dallas, so we can take advantage of the public library system. Our branch is exactly a mile from home, and we are there at least once a week. I get on the library’s website just about every day to check due dates or add items to our hold lists.

Unfortunately, silly things like work and sleep are taking up far too much of my reading time. In 2009, I read 88 books. The count for 2010 was 87. I’m on track to read 36 in 2011. This is a major problem for me!

Of my favorite authors*, seven have new titles slated for release later this year. In addition, I am already in line for ten books at the library. And my to-be-read pile at home has grown to at least 20 books. Plus, I’m constantly getting recommendations from different sources, so I can easily add a couple of books to my “I-want-to-read-that” list every week.

This is not a bad thing. I love to read, and I don’t ever want it to feel like a chore. But as the list grows, I start to feel that I have to put reading on my to-do list for it to get done. I truly *want* to read these books, I just get distracted by life. I know many people recommend that busy couples schedule time for sex so it doesn’t get overlooked. Maybe I need to start scheduling reading time…

In case anyone is interested, my favorite authors* are listed below:

Alan Bradley
Chelsea Cain
Marisa de los Santos
Nelson DeMille
Linda Fairstein
Tana French
Emily Giffin
Philippa Gregory
Jonathan Kellerman
Gregory Maguire
Jodi Picoult
Kathy Reichs
Daniel Silva

For those of you who are readers, I'd love to hear who your favorite authors are and why you love them. Please leave lots of comments - I'm always looking for a good book! :)




(*For the purposes of this post, “favorite author” is defined as an author I like enough to have read their entire body of work and to watch for new releases. There are other authors, such as Stephen King, that write some things I love and some I don’t. For these authors, I consider the subject matter of a new release and then decide if I want to read it or not. )

4 comments:

RoseAnn said...

I went through a Pat Conroy phase...read everything and eagerly awaited new releases.

I'm always in awe of someone who reads as much as you do. I read on the bus (40 minutes both ways twice a week when I'm doing good) and before bed and it seems to take me forever to finish a book.

Have you read "We Need to Talk About Kevin"? It's one of my favorites...author Lionel ~ack - blanking on her last name!~ Being CF and living near Columbine H.S., which is referenced in the book, I felt a particular connection.

Other recent faves: Water For Elephants, For the Love of a Dog, The Other End of the Leash

I also recently finished The Alchemist. It's a fast read and my friend highly recommended it but I wasn't so impressed. To me, it seemed like a drawn out short story.

Carol said...

I was lucky, RoseAnn - when I worked for the university, during our slow season I could read at my desk. Some days I could read an entire book!

I have read "We Need to Talk About Kevin." Author is Lionel Shriver, btw. I love that book and think everyone should read it - especially before they decide to have kids.

I've not read any of the three books you mentioned, but I will add them to my list! One you might want to check out is Oogy: the Dog Only a Family Could Love. It's a bit sad, but as a dog lover, I think you would enjoy it.

RoseAnn said...

I found mentalfloss.com through you so you may have already seen this but I just breezed through the first two chapters of "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" by Ransom Riggs. It's not out for real until early June but I already put it on my amazon wish list!

Carol said...

I saw the post for chapter two of "Miss Peregrine" yesterday, but I haven't read either chapter yet. I'll check that out later today; thanks for the recommendation!