Tuesday, May 3, 2011

(Not) proud to be an American

I am not rejoicing over the death of Osama bin Laden. Did the man deserve to die? Probably. Does his death change anything? Absolutely not. Within a few weeks (at best), Al-Qaeda will have a new leader.

America is hated by millions of people all over the world, and I think, in many ways, we’ve earned that hatred. I touched on my feelings briefly in
this post, but the bottom line is that I believe most Americans are celebrity chasing bigots who are a literal waste of oxygen. Those are harsh words, and I know many people personally who do not fit that description. But when I look at the general behavior of Americans, I am ashamed to be an American. I could start listing examples of how this country is irreparably broken because of its citizens, but I’d still be writing next week.

Consider, for one, all this birther nonsense. If Barack Obama was Caucasian, this would not have been an issue. Period. I’m not a fan of Donald Trump, but I never expected this level of idiocy. And he has support from the masses! Sigh…on that note, I give you this:


4 comments:

RoseAnn said...

Last night my mom and I had to agree to disagree on both Osama Bin Laden's death and the birther issue. When did my parents become conspiracy theorists? LOL

Carol said...

LOL, RoseAnn! To which conspiracies are your parents subscribing?

RoseAnn said...

My mom believes that the fact that Bin Laden was "buried at sea" makes the whole thing questionable...is he really dead? Has he been dead even longer? She was skeptical about DNA testing being run before the announcement...

On the birther issue, both my parents wanted to know why it took so long for the long form to come out and they believe Obama has paid off everyone from the newspaper to the governor to make the facts match up. My dad has said that he thinks Donald Trump would be a great president and I just think he'll be great entertainment during the campaign. What an asshat (Trump, not my dad LOL).

Carol said...

Well, I'll admit that I don't necessarily believe what our government tells us, and there are certain topics on which I do believe in the (less wacky) conspiracy theories. And your mom has a point: we don't *really* know that he's dead.

Tell your parents it took awhile for the long form because Obama was busy with actual government business: killing public enemy #1. LOL! Trump *is* an asshat, and I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks so!!!