Thursday, April 28, 2011

Day Four

So I went to the doctor on Monday afternoon. He agreed that I should start on an anti-depressant, and since Effexor has worked so well for me in the past, he prescribed the generic: venlafaxine. I will take 75 mg for 10 days, then 150 mg for 10 days, then 225 mg for 14 days. Then I’ll go back and we’ll see how I’m doing and if we need to further increase the dose. I was on 300 mg last time (which is a fairly high dose), so we’ll see. This is an extended-release form of the drug, so I only have to take it once a day, which is nice.

My doctor thinks that we will eventually need to add a mood-stabilizer to keep me stable long-term. We discussed the side effects I experienced with Abilify last time, and I expressed reservations about trying it again. I told him that I wasn’t taking anything different than I had been before when I took Abilify, so I couldn’t understand why I had such a reaction. He said it wasn’t what I *was* taking with it, but what I *wasn’t.* When I had side effects with Abilify, I was not taking Effexor. He thinks that may be the cause of the side effects I experienced.

As far as how I’m feeling, I would say: guarded. It feels good to know that I’m doing something to correct this before it gets out of control. I took my first dose of the medication as soon as I got home from the doctor (approximately 4:30 pm), and it began affecting my sleep that night. I’m taking that as a good sign; it got into my system quickly and began to have some effect. It does make me extremely sleepy in the afternoon, and I’m sleeping more lightly at night than I usually do, but I think that will go away once I get to a steady dose and adjust to it. In the meantime, I’m going to take it easy, go to bed early when I need to, and plan for extra rest on weekends. So far, I've had no other side effects.

Today is my Friday, and I’m going to try to get a few errands done after the royal wedding tomorrow so that I can have a really lazy weekend. J. is being extremely supportive, and he’ll take care of most things this weekend so I can relax. I’m hoping for a great (albeit quiet) weekend and to start next week with renewed energy.

1 comment:

RoseAnn said...

I hope the medication works for you. It sounds like your doctor really listens to you and I hope he's right about the Abilify working better in conjunction with the Effexor.

Enjoy your relaxing weekend!