Wednesday, April 20, 2011

April 29 is a Holiday (Why? Because I Said So!)

I'm starting to see backlash about the upcoming Royal Wedding. I understand it - when we were nine days from the Super Bowl in Dallas, I think I would've poked out an eye if it would have stopped the coverage. If you're not interested in William and Kate's marriage, you're probably ready to poke out your own eyes.

Luckily for me, I'm interested. I'm so interested, in fact, that I established April 29 as a holiday (vacation day from work, plans to wake up early, etc.) way back in December. I've steadily gotten more and more excited - then I started hearing my friends grumbling about all the wedding coverage, and I realized that not everyone cares about this.

And it got me wondering: why do *I* care about this?

When Charles and Diana married on July 29, 1981, I was five years old - barely. I remember seeing coverage of the wedding on tv, but I don't remember if my mom woke up early to watch or if we just saw it on the news later that day. I remember thinking that Diana's dress must have been so heavy. And even though it was a very 1981 dress, I never thought it was pretty. And when she and Charles left St. Paul's, Diana looked shell-shocked. She had to be thinking, "What the hell have I gotten myself into?"

And I think that's what fascinates me so much about the British royals: the dichotomy of (relatively regular) people who bear the weight of history. Kate is just a young woman, not so different from me. She wakes up with bad breath. She gets cranky for no good reason. There are foods she loves and foods she detests. She loves her fiance and is excited to be his wife (presumably). Yet in nine days, she will also be Her Royal Highness Princess William of Wales.

How strange must that be???

My high school World History teacher called me Queen Bess, in honor of Elizabeth I. I've been fascinated by the British monarchy ever since. The long, long history and the pageantry associated with the royals are beautiful things. So yes, I'll be awake at 3 am next Friday, and I'll love every second of minutia.

Not every little girl daydreams about her wedding. I didn't. But there can be no more fairy-tale a wedding than a royal one. Even a non-girly girl (like me) has to be impressed; Kate's going to be a *princess* !!!

3 comments:

RoseAnn said...

I happen to have the 29th off and am still debating whether to get up at the crack of dawn to catch things live or just watch it later. I know it will be airing all weekend so it's not like I'd miss anything!

When people would ask my sister what she wanted to be when she grew up, she always answered "Queen" (we fairly warned my BIL when they got engaged so he wouldn't be blind-sided by her expectations LOL). I honestly don't envy them the public life, though.

You know that starting the day of the wedding (heck, it's really already started), they're going to be hounded about whether she's pregnant until an announcement is made. I don't think there is such a thing as a CFBC princess. :(

Carol said...

I don't really envy her either, RoseAnn - her life will never be her own again. I wouldn't actually want that life; but one day as a princess might be fun, if only to see the inner workings of the royals' daily lives.

Craig Macaulay said...

Ok we still disagree, but your thoughts are interesting ;) lol