Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Our Song

I remember what I was wearing the day I met J.

It was a random meeting and seemed to mean little at the time. It took 15 years for us to get together, and we weren't in contact for more than 12 of those years. When I thought of that day, I never understood why it was so clear in my mind. J. remembers that Tesla's "Love Song" was playing in the pool hall that day.

The first time I ever cried over a boy, it was to that song. I was in 8th grade, and he was the first boy I'd kissed. The video for "Love Song" was all over MTV then, and I had the typical angst of a 14-year-old girl, so it's not surprising that it made me cry.

A sample of the lyrics:

Love is all around you.
Love is knockin' outside your door.
Waitin' for you is this love made just for two
Keep an open heart and you'll find love again, I know.
Love will find a way.
Darlin', love is gonna find a way,
Find its way back to you.
Love will find a way.
So look around, open your eyes.
Love is gonna find a way.
Love is gonna, love is gonna find a way.
Love will find a way.
Love's gonna find a way back to you."

When J. and I started seeing each other in 2009, and he told me that song had always reminded him of me and the day we met, it was a bit strange. It was special that he'd thought of me over the years, but the memory I had of that song was so different than his. I wanted the song to be special to me, as it was to him.

I heard "Love Song" on the radio today, and I finally, FINALLY got it. Look at the lyrics; how could it not be our song? It took J. and I so long to figure out that we were meant to be together. We both had lots of other relationships, and both dealt with a ton of heartache. Somehow, we kept our hearts open, and love found a way.

No comments: