Friday, March 4, 2011

Friday Happy Hour

From Mental Floss: "Every Friday, I post a series of unrelated questions meant to spark conversation in the comments. Answer one, answer all, respond to someone else's reply, whatever you want. On to this week's topics of discussion..."

1. What are some of your favorite children’s books/authors?

~ Dr. Seuss, of course. Shel Silverstein, especially the poem about the girl who won't take out the trash. The entire series of books that began with A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L'Engle. From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg. Pretty much everything by Judy Blume or Carolyn Keene (author of the Nancy Drew books).

2. Tell us about one person who has no idea what an impact he or she had on your life.

~ This is a tougher question than I thought it would be. Several people had a huge impact on my life, but I'm pretty sure they know it. If I had to choose only one, it would be Beverly Sanders, the saint who masquerades as a middle school English teacher, who gave me the tools to get through some of life's worst spots.

3. Let’s pretend you’re a projectionist at a one-screen theater. You’re tasked with putting together a double-feature, but it can’t just be a film and its sequel. What are some creative double-features that would put ticket-buyers in the seats?

~ I don't know how creative it is, but I'd like to see some of my favorite movies paired up. Maybe "Clue" with "Time Bandits." Or a double dose of Monty Python: Holy Grail and Life of Brian. Or two Pixar movies - although which two would have to be decided that day. I love them all, so it would depend on my mood. Or, if I wanted the theater all to myself, two of my favorite so-bad-they're-good movies: "Anaconda" and "The Saint."

4. Your time as a projectionist was short-lived. Now you’re in the restaurant business! What kind of food would you serve, and what would you call your restaurant?

~ I'm going to open a diner called Carol's. We'll be open 24/7/365, and our front door won't have a lock. We'll have wonderfully bad for you food, served by waitresses who remind the old-timers of Flo. The staff and the customers will be like family, and we'll refuse service to anyone driving a car that costs more than a college education.

No comments: