Friday, February 25, 2011

Friday Happy Hour

From Mental Floss: "Every Friday, I post a series of unrelated questions meant to spark conversation in the comments. Answer one, answer all, respond to someone else's reply, whatever you want. On to this week's topics of discussion..."

1. What’s a book that changed your life?

~ Wicked by Gregory Maguire. Every time I read it, I find something else (a sentence, an image) that sets my mind on fire. One line that always gets me: "How strong the bonds of family anger are; none of us breaks free."

2. Let’s pretend you stumbled upon a wish-granting genie. You only get one wish, and it’s pretty limiting—you can pick any one person and do his or her current job for one day. Who would you pick, and what would you do that day?

~ I would be Oprah, and I would spend the day on a task she might bless: I'd give away as much money as possible (to worthy people in need).

3. If you’re a parent, is there something special you got for your child before he or she was born? Or did your parents get something special for you?

~ Until just a few years ago, I had the Winnie-the-Pooh lamp that was in my nursery. It was also a music box (turn the honey-pot and Pooh's theme music plays). It was plastic and 30 years old, so...not in the greatest shape. I got to the point I just couldn't move with it one more time. (What is the proper way to pack a lamp, anyway?)

4. What’s something (anything) you recommend?

~ Today I'll recommend the book I'm currently reading. I'm only halfway through, and I've already laughed and cried (more laughter than tears). Check out Oogy: the Dog Only a Family Could Love by Larry Levin.

No comments: