Friday, January 14, 2011

Friday Happy Hour

From Mental Floss: "Every Friday, I post a series of unrelated questions meant to spark conversation in the comments. Answer one, answer all, respond to someone else's reply, whatever you want. On to this week's topics of discussion..."


1. If you could pick any TV series to be running a marathon right now, which show would you pick?
~ I'm going to choose "The Closer." I always thought I would hate it, but J. started watching and then got me watching. Now I'm hoping there will be a marathon soon so we can catch up.

2. A genie has granted you one wish, but there are strict parameters—mainly, your wish can only undo something you’ve already done, and it must be something you did in high school. On what would you like to hit the undo button?

~ I would like to change my senior prom date. I didn't have a boyfriend, so I asked a friend to be my date. Looking back, I wish I'd asked my (now) husband to take me. That would be a really awesome memory for both of us, since I went to both my junior and senior proms with guys who were just friends, and J. didn't go to prom at all.


3. When’s a time you fought the law—and won? (And for our purposes, “the law” can mean your employer, your principal, your parents, etc.)

~ I got my 9th grade history teacher (and football coach) in trouble with the administration. When we were tested on A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway, he marked an answer incorrect on my test. A few days later, I realized that the notes he wrote as the "correct answer" were taken from the Cliff's Notes and were, in fact, wrong. I went to the principal and said that if I had to read a book, the teacher damn well ought to have to read it, too - instead of using the Cliff's Notes to write the test.


4. What was the most challenging class you’ve taken? Was it worth it?

~ No schoolwork was ever especially challenging for me, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm good at school or I never really took a difficult class. Probably both. But I like a challenge; maybe I'll try to find a subject that will kick my ass.

No comments: