Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Looking Ahead - Christmas 2011

I love Christmas.

Wait...let me rephrase that: I love the IDEA of Christmas. I love what Christmas is supposed to be about. I love decorating the house and listening to holiday music and watching holiday movies. I do not, however, love the stress of spending time with family I never see and don't really like, of braving stores filled with crazy people to find the perfect gift, and of having to be so damn cheerful about the whole thing.

My wonderful husband would just as soon go to bed on December 23rd and wake up on December 26th. He accomodates me (and I think he even had a little fun this year), but it's just not his thing. And about three weeks ago, I realized it's not mine either. I don't want to completely give up on Christmas, and we couldn't do that to our mothers anyway, so we made a deal.

Beginning with Christmas 2010, in even years we will celebrate here with our families. In odd years, we will travel. Our plan is to decide where we'll be spending Christmas by February 1st. That way, we have all year to plan (and pay for) the trip. Christmas 2011 is already planned and booked. We will be at Petit Jean State Park in Arkansas, in a stand-alone log cabin with a wood-burning fireplace and a full kitchen.

It will be just the two of us for five days. We've already told our families that we'll be travelling, and I may have led my mother to believe that there's no cell service inside the park. In any event, as I sit here in the limbo that is the week between Christmas and New Years, feeling bloated and out-of-sorts, and wishing to get back to a routine, I think of where I'll be next year, and smile.

No comments: