Friday, October 15, 2010

Friday Happy Hour

From Mental Floss: "Every Friday, I post a series of unrelated questions meant to spark conversation in the comments. Answer one, answer all, respond to someone else’s reply, whatever you want. On to this week’s topics of discussion…"

1. In an effort to churn out better-prepared graduates, you’ve been hired to develop one course that all high school seniors must take. What would your class be?
~ I think there should be a year-long, basic how-to-survive-on-your-own class, broken up into different units: A financial unit - learn how to balance a checkbook, buy a car and house, understand insurance policies, write a budget, and manage credit cards. A maintenance unit - learn how to take care of a car (change a tire, change the oil, check all the fluids, etc.) and learn how to do basic home maintenance. A home economics unit - learn basic cooking and cleaning, how to do laundry, how to plan a grocery list, and tips on living with roommates. An employment unit - how to write a resume and ace an interview.

2. When did you first go online?
~ I set up my first email account in 1999. Before that I was never really online. I remember, at the time, feeling like I was behind because several of my friends had been using email for work for a while.

3. What’s the strangest compliment you’ve received?
~ Worst pick-up line ever: I was at a club when I was 18. A guy approached me and said, "You have childbearing hips." I looked him straight in the eye and said, "Not yours."

4. If you were putting on a conference for people in your profession, who would be your first choice for keynote speaker? And a follow-up: who’s the best speaker you’ve seen at a conference?
~ My career has been spent in customer service, of one type or another. My choice for keynote speaker would be Ken Blanchard, author of Gung Ho: Turn on the People in Any Organization and Raving Fans: A Revolutionary Approach to Customer Service. Both of these books are remarkable and are must-reads for anyone working in customer service. As far as the best speaker I've ever heard, I haven't really attended professional conferences, so I don't have an answer.

No comments: