Friday, October 22, 2010

Friday Happy Hour

From Mental Floss: "Every Friday, I post a series of unrelated questions meant to spark conversation in the comments. Answer one, answer all, respond to someone else’s reply, whatever you want. On to this week’s topics of discussion…"

1. What are some of the weird things — intentionally or not — you’ve conditioned your pet to do?
~ Our animals do weird things, but I don't so much think it's because we've conditioned them to do so. Our female cat likes to sit on the side of the bathtub and drink the water while the husband is bathing. It's really disgusting, because she'll drink it even when the water is dirty/soapy. Strange, too, because she's very prissy and hates to get dirty or wet.

2. If the you of today could sit down with the 10/22/2000-version of yourself, what’s the one thing you didn’t do that you’d tell your younger self he/she must?
~ Wow. On 10/22/00, I was 24 and newly single, after being in a 5.5 year live-in relationship. I was dating someone, but he was much more serious about me than I was about him, and it didn't last long. That's actually a period of my life about which I have very few regrets. When I became single, I told myself that because I'd missed out on so much, I wasn't going to say no to things. If someone invited me to do something, I went. I told myself that if I was miserable, I could leave after an hour, but that never really happened. So I did a lot of fun things during that period that I would've otherwise missed out on.

3. What’s your favorite episode of your favorite TV show?
~ On April 8, 1957 the "Building a BBQ" episode of "I Love Lucy" aired for the first time. "I Love Lucy" isn't necessarily my favorite show, but this episode is in my top-5 favorite-tv-episodes of all time. Here's the basic plot: Ricky is always getting onto Lucy because she places her wedding band in the kitchen window while she's doing dishes, and he's afraid she'll lose it. So one day, Ricky sees Lucy's ring in the windowsill, and he puts it in his pocket, thinking he'll give her a scare that will teach her a lesson. That day, the Ricardos and Mertzes build a BBQ grill. After it's done, Lucy realizes her ring is gone. She thinks she lost it in the cement while it was being mixed. So that night, after Ricky and Fred are in bed, Lucy and Ethel dismantle the entire grill. Of course, they don't find her ring. They try to put the BBQ back together, but it's all lopsided. Ricky and Fred wake up and go to inspect their handiwork, and find a disaster and Lucy crying because her ring is gone.

4. What’s your all-time favorite live album?
~ I love live music, and in many cases, I prefer live albums to studio albums. My favorite live album is Dave Matthews Band, "The Central Park Concert." Here's why: It's the only recorded concert (to-date) that contains a DMB performance of "Cortez, the Killer," which is my all-time favorite Neil Young song. When I looked at the cd and saw it contains that song, I was literally jumping up and down in the store.

No comments: