Wednesday, February 17, 2010

It's called 'work' for a reason...

Ok - so, in my life, I've had 15 jobs. That includes part-time, full-time, and hated-it-so-much-I-only-lasted-a-week jobs. And my experience is that the phenomenon under discussion today is more prevalent in office settings, especially call center jobs. But it happens everywhere. So, here goes...

To my boss: I'm here to work and earn a paycheck. If I wanted to have fun with my co-workers, I'd go to happy hour with them at 5 pm. So please, don't make me go to a summer picnic or holiday party. I don't want to participate in hawaiian shirt day, or crazy hat day, or bring your favorite Pez dispenser to work day. I want to come to work, do my job in peace, then go home and spend time with people I actually like. It is only going to damage my morale if I'm forced to participate.

Seriously - I learned long ago that it's best for everyone involved if I just take vacation time when one of these events is scheduled. I can't make myself have fun, and my lousy attitude isn't fair to the people who actually enjoy these things (who are sick puppies, as far as I'm concerned).

1 comment:

Veronica said...

Ugh. We have one of those set for tomorrow. Kill me.