Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Why is it...

that pets in this country are treated better than people? I'm referring specifically to end-of-life care. Most of the time, when a pet is diagnosed with some type of painful and/or terminal disease, the animal is put to sleep. The fur-parents let go of their beloved friend so that she/he does not have to suffer. But what do we do when grandma is diagnosed with terminal cancer? Well, unless you live in one of three American states (Montana, Oregon, and Washington) that allow assisted suicide, she suffers until her death.

We would never, NEVER do that to Spot or Fluffy! So WHY do we do it to grandma?

The reigning argument is: because people have souls and animals don't. Well, to that I say: really? Have you ever looked into the eyes of a dog that loves you? I can guarantee that there is a soul behind those eyes. Dogs are loyal and loving and are incapable of deceit. They are better than people, and if we get a soul and they don't, then I've got some things to say to God.

1 comment:

Veronica said...

I agree 100%. If I am in pain and don't want to go on, I should be able to decide to end MY life! My grandmother wanted to die long before she did. She was not living a happy or fulfilling life. I wished that we could've helped her and I'd want the same for myself in that situation. It should be a personal choice, period.