Friday, July 24, 2009

Fulghum

If you don't know who Robert Fulghum is, you must find out - quickly. I'll help you catch up a bit: he wrote the essay "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten" which was published in a collection of essays under the same title. He has since published 8 other books, most of them collections of his essays.

I received his most recent book in the mail and began reading it last night. As always, I have laughed and cried. Again, I am amazed by the way Fulghum's observation of the little things in life makes me think about the big things. He writes about the things that I think about but could never put into words. The essays are funny and touching and REAL. They have affected me deeply.

I met Fulghum once, at a book signing in Dallas. I was star-struck, but I managed to ask him a question about one of his essays in which he describes tasting Cheer detergent. I asked him if he really tasted the Cheer, and he told me he did. That book he signed for me is one of my most prized possessions. I felt, at that moment, that I was in the presence of greatness. This is a man with whom you could talk all day and not begin to say everything. This is a man with whom you could have an easy, lifelong friendship.

When I grow up, I want to be Robert Fulghum. But I would settle for an afternoon to talk with him one-on-one. Since that's highly unlikely, I'll sing his praises to you.

My wish for you this weekend is to find one of his collections of essays, get a cup of coffee and find a quiet spot, and prepare to be irreparably changed.

Robert Fulghum

No comments: