Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Things I Know...



When I was 18, I thought I had it all figured out. I guess everyone does, at that age. Now I think that one of the hallmarks of maturity is realizing how little one really knows. There are a few things, though, that I know. Or maybe I should say it this way: there are a few things that I believe to be true (we'll see how I feel when I look back at this in 10 years).

- Random acts of kindness can and do change the world.

- When someone helps you, always pay it forward, even if you've also paid it back.

- Everyone should have to work in either a fast food joint or a grocery store as one of their first jobs. Everyone should also have to work for tips and live on that income for a specified amount of time. Nothing will make you better appreciate the hard and thankless work of others.

- Love is a choice. Commitment is infinitely more important to a marriage than love, or romance, or any of that fairy tale crap. But sometimes people really do live happily ever after.

- People will, for the most part, rise to what is expected of them, so set the bar high.

- No matter how close you are to another person or how honest a relationship you have with them, you can never really know them.

- At the end of my life, I will be asked to account for *my* actions and choices. I don't have to answer for anyone else, and it's pointless to waste my time worrying about everyone else's choices.

No comments: